The Historic Graves project is a community focused grassroots heritage project. Local community groups, in our case here in Newcastle it was the BN&B CE Scheme are trained in low-cost high-tech field survey of historic graveyards and recording of their own oral histories. They build a multi-media online record of the historic graves in their own areas and unite to form a national resource. The project outlines a system and sequence which helps to co-ordinate and standardise an historic graveyard survey.
- Community groups are trained to use digital cameras and smartphones to survey historic graveyards.
- Both new and old survey records are combined with locally recorded audio and video stories to form a multi media record of a graveyard.
- By curating and publishing the survey records centrally the individual community graveyard surveys combine to form a national resource where the value of each survey is compounded by its association with others.
- The website allows visitors from Ireland and across the globe to freely explore and search the growing database of multimedia records and stories.
- It allows communities to self publish historic graveyard surveys and the related multimedia stories.
- The surveys are being funded by a number of Local Development Partnerships through LEADER funds and are supported by Local Heritage Officers, County Archaeologists and Local Authorities.
- People, institutions and organisations contribute to the project in three ways 1. voluntary works 2. permission 3. funding.
- We now spend a lot of time working with community groups to get funding for training surveys and uploads. And starting in April 2018 we are asking people who use the website to crowdfund new surveys. Every penny (except Paypal charges) will go to new surveys.
The website and survey methodology have been designed and built by Eachtra Archaeological Projects.
Graveyard Code: TS-MQNCRMP Site number: TS088-032004 Townland: Middlequarter County: Tipperary
Number of Memorials: 204
The link below will bring you to the database for this graveyard in Newcastle, Tipperary.
Click here to go to the database for the Middlequarter Graveyard in Newcastle Tipperary.