When an Emergency Vehicle Approaches:
• Turn off the radio if you hear a siren and check your rear view mirror, to allow you to determine which direction the Emergency Vehicle is coming from
• Gently breaking, indicate to pull the car over to the left
• Pull over to the left hand side of the road and stop
• Stay there until the Emergency Vehicle has passed. Be mindful there may be more than one Emergency
• Once you are sure the Emergency Vehicle has passed, indicate that you intend to pull out again. When it is
safe to do so gradually merge back into traffic
• Don’t panic, don’t put yourself in a dangerous situation
• Don’t go out onto a junction or intersection if stopped at a red light, we will negotiate around you, unless
directed to do so by the Gardaí or emergency services personnel
• Never tailgate or try to overtake an Emergency Vehicle
• Never race after an emergency vehicle to get through a traffic light
• Never break a red light or speed to allow emergency vehicles to pass unless you’re directed to do this by the
Gardaí or emergency services personnel.
Full post is available on the Tipperary Co Co website.. here.